RE: [Harp-L] Stage physics for idiots

I'm no expert on this and I don't know how to answer your question about
monitor, miked amp and player position, but the first question I would ask
is why do you even have a monitor?

Feedback is always a potential problem for amplified harp players, probably
due to the frequencies we are dealing with and the fact that the mic is
cupped in our hands.  Any speaker which is pointing towards you is a
potential source of feedback, and if you've got an amp AND a stage monitor
then you've got two possible sources of feedback right there

The worst scenario for feedback is the one that most of us probably started
out with.  You're playing through your own amp on stage and you're battling
with a bonehead guitarist who can't keep his hands off his volume knob as
the night wears on and the beers kick in.  If you want to be heard then
you've got no choice but to turn up as well, but unless you've got your back
to the amp and the mic completely shielded from the speaker, hey presto,
feedback

One sensible solution is to mic your amp so your sounds goes through the PA.
If you've got a decent sound guy then he can set your level so the crowd can
hear you through the PA, and all you need to be able to do is hear yourself
through your own amp.  Or do what I do and use a Harp Commander to send one
signal to your amp and a line out to the PA.  It has the same effect as
miking your amp but gives you a lot more control over the levels

But if you're also getting your signal sent back through the stage monitors
then you've added another potential source of feedback and quite possibly
negated all the benefits of miking your amp.

So my advice would be:

1. Mike your stage amp (or get a Harp Commander)
2. Set the volume of your stage amp so you can comfortably hear yourself
3. Set the volume of the PA so the crowd can easily hear you
4. Lose the stage monitor

Cheers
Mike